Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, March 02, 2020

The Virus Goes Viral --- Why Stocks are in a Bear Market

Investing In Yourself – Using Pillars to Build Your Core
Setting Budgets + Saving for Black Swans
How to Open My First Brokerage Account
Diversify your Life (Mind, Body, Soul, + Investments)
Search My Blog


The Virus Goes Viral
This week the stock market was rocked by round the clock news of a SARS like coronavirus, COVID-19. The Dow fell 12 percent this week alone, which I believe is the biggest one week drop since the dreaded financial crisis. With over 3 Trillion Dollars worth of value erased in US Stocks, I get asked what in the world do I think is going on and what am I doing during a period like this. This very topic came up today when I spoke with my dear friend who happens to be one of the biggest mortgage brokers in the country.

When asked for my thoughts -- I told him plainly the Virus has gone Viral. And what I meant by this is, in today's hyperconnected world we are getting peppered with news updates, pictures, and opinions all day. I truly believe the virus has gone viral and we are seeing the market reacting to real-time tweets, posts, and texts as news comes out instantly. Gone are the days where we all had to tune into CNN or wait until our local news came on to try and decipher what was happening a world away. Over the past few weeks, I've seen constant pictures of cruise ships (not able to dock), masked people in coffee shops, and empty streets and restaurants. So my mind instantly goes to my favorite End of the World shows like the "The Last Ship" or "The Walking Dead" which similarly displayed quarantined ships and empty streets, respectively. The fact is as a county and world we may be more worried and nervous that ever before (thanks to Ring doorbells) and a polarized political environment. That uneasiness and mistrust, today more than ever, may be causing this natural response that this is the Big One. I am NOT arguing for less information but our futures will be scarier when you can watch a live counter of people getting sick and dying across the world.  

First, we should be amazed at how rapidly people now move across the world. When we had SARS back in 2003, the world was less mobile and while that virus hit with a fury -- it impacted less people. COVID-19 is a similar genetic strain to SARS but is clearly more powerful (virulent) and contagious. In a more mobile world, when one part catches a cold the rest of the world will catch that cold or at least sneeze. Similar to the flu and cold season, those most at risk clearly appear to be the elderly and people with underlying health conditions. 

So people need to hear from those in charge to ensure that a plan is in place for their health and well-being. This is a critical response to all those real-time updates we get and the apocalypse shows I watch. If I got a real-time update of flu infections and deaths each season, I would never leave the house (let alone a homicide update for most metro cities).  I wasn't paying attention back then  -- but does anyone know what we did as a country when SARS or Avian (Bird) flu impacted the world?  I don't so my point is don't panic.  Hospitals already restrict youth during flu season so our next best steps are: a) protecting our elderly    b) reducing close contact    c) washing our hands   d) hoping for warmer weather

With markets being at ALL TIME highs, it is a very rationale to be scared but don't panic and definitely don't SELL everything.

What Should Be Sold ---
Segments of the markets involving in travel, leisure, hospitality, dining, and retail. In addition, businesses with significant exposure to Chinese customers or China's supply chain. They will be sold off because we just don't know how long this disease will last. Also, due to today's hyperconnected world, NO ONE wants to be the company that didn't close its doors soon enough, cancel flights fast enough, or take the necessary precautions to keep customers safe. So businesses in this segment will take a hit.

What Should Be NOT BE SOLD ---
I think your healthcare, internet, gold and gold mining stocks should not be sold. I also think you need to try and protect your portfolio. Protect Protect Protect - you'll see that's why I've own gold related stocks like Novagold since 2008-9. Oddly enough that was the same time I advised my mortgage broker to add Gold to his retirement portfolio. I recently wrote about a healthcare stock: Gilead, a company helping to develop a vaccine for COVID-19. And I want to share with you an investment vehicle called the Volatility Index. Known as the VIX, this offers some protection when the stock market gets very volatile. I bought shares in the 4th quarter of 2019 (a little early) when I thought the market was getting to high -- I purchased shares around the $15 a share range. I'm glad to have insurance protection when the market feels like it is falling off of a cliff.

I own VIXY which is a volatility index fund. When things seem too good to be true, BE FEARFUL, and buy protection. Roughly 10% of my portfolio is being offset by VIXY which gives me some piece of mind on down days.





Try and protect yourself in advance of market downturns and then during the downturns we go bargain hunting. I picked up the following stocks in the last two days:
  • Facebook (internet) 
  • Match Group Inc (internet) - Owners of dating sites: Match, Tinder, PlentyOfFish, Meetic, OkCupid, Pairs, Twoo, OurTime, BlackPeopleMeet, and LoveScout24
  • Teladoc (healthcare) - Virtual/Video conferencing healthcare services with your doctor and the future of a simple doctor's visit
  • Uber - While ridership will decline, Uber Eats may pick up, I think it will be temporary and for a stock that fell from $42 to $29... an opportunity exists
My assumption is most people will be swiping right, wanting an expert doctor opinion or eating in. Me, I'll be #investandchill



No comments: