Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Sunday, December 27, 2020

Kujichagulia | Self-Determination - Own Your Destiny

 On the second day of Kwanzaa, I wanted to chat about Kujichagulia (self-determination). With so many obstacles affecting middle and lower class America, no matter your race you must be personally accountable every day for your actions. These actions each and every day are shaping the path you are and will take in life. I train people and coach them on how to improve their financial and personal well-being and often the common responses I get are:

"If you can do that for me"
"If you think this will work for me"
"So what do you think"
"I don't like all the changes/instructions/direction"

I remind those persons each and every day you choose your own path. I can't do anything for you (you can). I can provide my experiences and journey but you must tell me what works for your life. It doesn't matter what I think, it's your life to live. If you don't like what you see --- why did you choose it? And if you didn't choose anything yet, why do you feel compelled someone has made a decision for you...when they haven't. Do you feel the personal responsibility of having to decide, being accountable for the decision you made, and being on the hook for seeing it through.

For me, when I was 18, I looked back and had already seen a life of systemic oppression. In kindergarten, I was told I'd be yanked out of my public school path and put into a magnet school because of my then smarts. Yes a blessing, but a new path that meant two different buses to school each day and classes where most people did not look like me. I remember my 12th Grade teacher give me a surprising look when I told her I needed my National Honor Society document signed by her. I remember every white person in college, at work, and in my personal life asking me and my friends do we play sports. I remember most vacations, young white teens asking me if I could sell them drugs. I vividly remember coming back to my alma mater to assist with intern interviews and calling a candidate's name and no one came up. As I went to go back to my company's cubicle, a young white man called out, hey I "think" you're looking for me. I said you been sitting in the waiting room the whole time (with other students), why would you NOT answer after I've clearly read your name out loud. He said: "I was scared, I saw a big (pause) man standing there...and". I quietly knew the code he was speaking of. This young white man was willing to miss an interview with a premier consulting firm because a black man IN A SUIT, in a large room full of recruiters (and students) in cubicles (tens of us) --- called his name. Again I repeat, he almost missed an interview because of his privilege and prejudices. 

This is why roughly two decades ago I started this blog with one thing in mind. A determination to always be balanced because I have and will always face obstacles in my life. I needed options so my balance stems from my pillars and I vowed to never be financially dependent on anyone or any company (entity). That why I work in Corporate America on terms I find manageable, own my own startup consulting firm, managed a growing investment portfolio and have a rental property to mine name. I can individually live of each of these separately except for my rental property. I technically retired a few years ago (2 years behind my goal of 35) as I humble enough to retire to a modest ranch home paid off in most urban cities of America. But I'm also determined to help people understand how to be personally responsible for their own path and independence -- but you must be determined to roll up your sleeves and do the work yourself.

Kujichagulia (self-determination)


New Stock Shout-Out: Game Stop (if you read until the end, now tell me how can I like a company so hated)

No comments: