Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, December 28, 2020

Ujima | Collective Work and Responsibility

 We often hear the phrase..."It Takes A Village", but as COVID-19 rages on I truly wonder if as a country we share those collective values. Growing up in the African community, Ujima or the belief in communal society was on display everyday. As a child, my parents were so avid that we did most things as a group...a community.  For example, when the seasons changed and spring was upon us my parents would remind our large family of the importance of being unified (Umoja) in our work and each of us being determined (Kujichagulia) in adding value to the garden we spent endless weeks of cultivating. Digging, tilling, seeding, watering, and fencing were the activities completed together until the project was done. I remember looking over at the basketball court that was calling me and my younger brothers names but my parents were adamant that we must collectively finish the task at hand first. Weeks and months later, it was hard to believe all of the plants and vegetables that were sprouting (some native to West Africa) in our backyard. I would laugh, my new "responsibility" was keeping our basketball away from the garden. 

The principle of Ujima is so important in my daily life. It helps me collectively work in Corporate America, it assists me in collaborating and debating contracts with companies/vendors, and it deepens my ties with my friends and colleagues who span many races, cultures, and points of time in my life. Successful people in Corporate America constantly talk about the importance of their network --- I call it their Ujima. Why because they use their network to collectively invest, manage risk, and build businesses together. There is not a day that goes by that I don't speak with persons in my network to grow my knowledge, challenge my thoughts, or to invest alongside with me should an opportunity exist. Unfortunately, there are not enough people of color yet that are able to invest in some of the assets I'm interested in. 

I'm sure my parents were teaching us life lessons each year we went out to garden, plant, and work together. Due to these lessons learned as a child, I was able to handle college group projects, Corporate America's hourly team meetings, and the responsibility of communicating goals and objectives that benefit my stakeholders (me, my family, my community). This is why I'm so outspoken about the African and African-American community getting stronger about defining their top 5-10 goals. Then going on an awareness campaign to educate ourselves and other communities about how helping us achieve those 5 - 10 goals will better the global community. For example, I do this for my business, myself, and I truly think this is what people like Ice Cube are trying to do when they create "plans" or "bill of rights" for our community. To avoid missteps made, this is not something to go at it alone, we need a collective to manage the risks, the optics, and fund the push.

My dad laid out our family's Ujima goals, which I think are similar to my pillars:

Education First - I remember having a stern discussion when I brought home all A's and 1 "B"; he knew I had it in me to consistently bring home all A's

Work - At 14, he used his "network" and the CEO of a local retail company gave me my first job at 14. I've never forget that summer I put in 40 hours a week @ $4.25. Boy was I tired that summer.

Health - To many peoples surprise, my father would randomly have us run down the block, and began having us participate is sports an early age. It was critical in our physical development, team/collective awareness, competitive nature, and humility in the face of defeat (we always shook hands). 

Spirituality - No matter what, we always made it to church. I remember reading scriptures to the Church as I completed confirmation and more importantly I remember how my father could lead prayers in both the Christian and Muslim faiths...not an easy task but what a way to collectively bring people together.

I wonder if our community and our plan could rally around some of these principles?? Finally, I would add in this day and age it takes financial support. We need to look to the government but also to these celebrated figures in our community to do their part. To be fair not all of them are billionaires but here a few examples of what some of my billionaire buddies give their money to which helps their communities:

David Tepper (Worth: $13.5 Billion, former minority share owner in Pittsburgh Steelers, now owner of the NFL Carolina Panthers, and MLS soccer team: Charlotte FC) - His donations of $67M to Carnegie Mellon will impact many in that community

Seth Klarman (Worth $1.5 Billion, investor trying to bring MLS soccer team to Las Vegas) - Mr. Klarman is a value investor like myself so we go way back just not as far back and me and Warren. Seth founded a foundation that clearly lays out the communities and areas of interest his donations serve: 

  • Advancing understanding of the biological basis of health and illness
  • Ensuring a healthy democracy
  • Expanding access to vital services and enrichment opportunities in Greater Boston
  • Supporting the global Jewish community and Israel
So on the 3rd Day of Kwanzaa, I remind people of Ujima. Don't just call on me for my vote. My community has needs that differ sometimes from that of other communities. It's okay to invest with me to advance, expand and support the global African community. My belief is that investments in my community will ensure a vibrant, diverse, and healthy democracy. Finally, to our growing list of million and billionaires (Jay Z, Robert F. Smith), please continue your collective work and focus on our community's goals just like my buddies David Tepper and Seth Klarman do. Your work will help our growing list of millionaires to learn how to do their part. Peace and love



Quick Stock Note: I finally bought a Roku device. I cut the cord many months back and love the decision. I do miss my sports and wonder if FUBO TV will benefit from those like me willing to pay for live sports. I'm nibbling at this trend, needs more research: Fubotv Inc (FUBO:NYSE)

No comments: