Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Side Hustle 101 - Are You Open for Business?

My last post was entirely dedicated to ensuring that you have your legal affairs in order.  Many people get started and don't understand the risks a business may pose to their wallets. That's why business formation and how you choose to legally organize or incorporate is key. So here is my list of items to slowly check off to ensure you "Are Open for Business":

1) Legal Document Setup - If you don't feel comfortable documenting your own articles of organization, make sure you get help from from your local Small Business Association, online legal services (like Legal Zoom), or if more complicated a lawyer.  I went the route of documenting my own articles of organization for the challenge and found many helpful resources on the Internet. AND don't forget to designate who are all of your managing directors are and clearly specify the percentage of ownership within the company.

2) Domain Registration - In the digital world, it's critical to have a unique name and formally register your domain name.  YES, every good name is taken, but get creative why do you think we all have Google, Bing, and Yahoo at the top of our minds when on Internet. Your domain will allow you to have your own email domain address and website.

3) Email and Physical Address Setup - While not easy to setup, use your domain to get a non GMAIL, LIVE, or YAHOO address. It's not an immediate need but this addition to your business helps give you a professional look.  While not critical, many people often use remote mailboxes and co-working spaces to keep the professional look on all legal documents.

4) Taxes, Accounting, Invoicing, Expenses - I spent 3+ months reading the tax code. I personally think this is THE MOST important section of business to understand...but I am biased as I have an accounting background. By reading the IRS tax code, it helped me understand what legal structure I wanted to form, when to pay my estimated taxes, how to form and fund my 401K plan, what expenses I should consider.

Other key items items needing to be setup:
- Website
- Phone
- Logo / Letterhead / Business Cards
- Bank Account Setup
- Methods for accepting payments
- Internet and Connecting your Business
- Computers
- Staffing

My rule of thumb is to crawl first.  Spend a few months and get the first 4 items listed above rock solid. Then add things only as they become necessary. If you are an internet based business add a website immediately. When it is time to expand then you can learn to walk and run. I hope you found this helpful. I'll write one more post of the accounting and expenses and we'll get back investing and other fun subjects.

No comments: