Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Saturday, March 01, 2014

2014 - Themes Shaping My Investments (pt 1)

I want to capture the themes that I believe are shaping the world in 2014 and for the foreseeable future.  Game changing events shape people first, then entrepreneurs react, and finally investment dollars follow.  This is important for many people to remember in my opinion when looking back and asking why is the world changing right before my eyes and how can I participate. I've heard the phrase when life gives you lemonade...and changed it to when you and the world are buying or using a quality product think about investing in it.  I have a good friend that constantly talks to me about Whatsapp and if anyone close to me knows Apps are not my thing but I find out they were bragging about what would be a 19 Billion Dollar company I was just being introduced to.

Theme 1: E-Commerce

I write about this theme often and the verdict is in, many people prefer the comfort of buying things online. I know I do and a number of entrepreneurs have responded to become mega online retailers for everything imaginable.  Continue to think about the ways our buying patterns change on the Internet and take advantage of the companies that will capitalize on it first OR do it better. This will be a combination of new and old companies changing the way we shop. Remember last year, there was a reason why so many packages were delayed during the Christmas holiday by UPS and that theme is the comfort of buying things online.

- Amazon, Ebay (Paypal), Yahoo, Google, Walmart, Home Depot, UPS, Fedex

Theme 2: Mobile /APPS

The mobile wars are heating up. Finally, most of the world is warming up to a concept I've been using for quite a while: "No Debt/No Contract".  The mobile companies have used contracts to their advantage for quite some time and this has led many people to enter into never ending contracts that change usually on the companies terms. My philosophy is don't sign it until to read it. If you don't like what you read...call the company and see if you can change the terms...or don't sign it. I buy my phones myself and never enter into a contract. Many people have not paid attention to the fine print so AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have dominated the US market. The public is tired of this model and now enters T-Mobile and their "no contract" and "cheaper packages".  And now the big companies like AT&T must follow suit with lower prices or lose customers.

Then enter the world of Apps...I can't explain the love affair for all things FLAPPY but Apps are the favorite hobby of the world.  I personally don't use very many apps but I can't deny their staying power. 

- Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, Apple, Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Blackberry, Facebook, Whatsapp, Snapchat, Zynga, Candy Crush

...the remaining themes are to be continued

1 comment:

Michel Vion said...

For leading a comfortable and secure trading life, There is no alternative way to trade with a credible broker which guarantee their clients funds. That’s why I am with LQDFX which is more credible that always ensures security o funds at any kinds of deposits. And they don’t restrict any kinds of trading techniques with scalping and hedging. So, at all times I feel secure and comfortable.