Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Tuesday, September 09, 2008

My Dougie

Said she likes My Dougie, I'm Fresh!

If I just lost you then you need to check out this track by artist Lil Wil...in honor of the legendary Dougie Fresh (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqeGZpHCURo). Down in Dallas, they have given this legend a new life with the younger generation as "My Dougie" is used to describe someone's style...Fresh. I hope the readers here at Urbanomics appreciate our blogging and hopefully you like our Dougie. And the reason why we think our style is fresh is because we hope to bring a difficult subject, INVESTING, and try to explain it to you in a very simple way.

To invest I've learned that you must have a certain style or swagger. The reason I say this is because with so much going on with the markets and in the news, you must remain calm and make informed and logical decisions. As we have written here before, to assist in that process I recommend that you take notes of things that you read and hear. Then perform additional research to assist you in deciding what to do. If you were following the news you would have heard about some of the following stories:

Lehman Brothers - One of the largest investment banks is struggling to raise capital as losses from investments continue to pile up.
Apple/Steve Jobs - Apple is unveiling a new iPOD touch, but all that is on the mind of investors is Steve Jobs and whether he is healthy.
Oil - Oil has dropped to levels of roughly 100$, and will OPEC allow it to drop any lower.
Fannie/Freddie - I love Alan Greenspan's (former Federal Reserve chief) comment that these entities were structurally flawed because they socialize losses and privatize gains! This is so true, when they are struggling the government bails them out, but when they were profitting the only people gaining were the private investors owning the stock.

Lastly, I have often talked about price points and how important they are when investing and getting your stock selections at a great price. My Dougie has helped me patiently wait and here are some of the stocks that I liked but I had to wait for great price points.

Electro Scientific (ESIO) - I have been patiently waiting for levels of 13.80s

Big Lots (BIG) - Big Lots has benefitted from the hard times as more people turn to discount retailers. This stock is not a result of my screening, just a informed decision that makes sense. They hit a 52 week high at 34.88 and I think they will decline from those lofty levels. With stimulus checks running out and higher costs hitting most retailers they appear to be a great short opportunity. I believe Walmart, Target and most recently 99 Cents (http://www.cnbc.com/id/26622876) are being affected by this. Big Lots is a great short above levels of 33.50$.

CSX Corp (CSX) & Fedex (FDX) - I have been saying for awhile I like the transportation sectors as oil prices continue to decline. Now I haven't identified a solid price point but this may need to be done as FDX is already raising their guidance which is causing the stock to rise. I am hoping to see the effect of declining oil prices to benefit these sectors.

I'm out, Get your URB on!






No comments: