Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, September 15, 2008

The Aftermath...

I wanted to develop this post in response to a great comment from a reader, LLROOMTEMPJ:

"here's a stupid question for you. Now that lehman has filed for chapter 11, why would buying lehman now with an understanding that it may go back up in the future be a stupid idea?Is there no return from bankruptcy? Weren't there some airlines that filed chapter 11 that bounced back?i'm really an idiot, but if you could teach me, or direct me to some resources that would help me to make sense of things, it would be much appreciated."

My response: I wanted to say thanks for reading Urbanomics and I will answer you question to the best of my ability. You are correct Lehman has officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I believe that buying Lehman now is not a sound decision because to my knowledge this firm as we know it will cease to exist.

Our first indication is that Lehman did not include any of their viable businesses that can still continue operate in its chapter 11 filing. It has businesses that act as brokers - dealers as well as Neuberger Berman (an investment advisory firm) that were specifically left out...because they still have VALUE. These viable businesses will be sold or liquidated to provide for more cash. I imagine other things like the headquarters (real estate) will be liquidated also. I believe that this decision is key because chapter 11 can give Lehman or more importantly Lehman's creditors the ability to reorganize of sell all the assets of the company and we already see the rush to sell those assets mentioned above quickly for their highest value. Unlike retailers, manufacturers, or airlines...Lehman does not have a lot of assets to sell to generate money to pay back all of the money it borrowed from banks (or creditors) so it must sell the businesses that make Lehman money (similar to how an airline might sell its planes) and with each sale of these assets Lehman begins to disappear.

Secondly, reorganization is unlikely because Lehman's biggest asset is it's NAME. People must trust the name to lend it money so that Lehman can make more money. There will be little trust in a company that has failed at managing your money if it came back.

Lastly, buying the shares at this point is not a sound decision because stockholders get no love in the PRIORITY of recovering money during bankruptcy. Anyone holding the stock will receive nothing and only creditors (usually banks who let Lehman borrow money) get PRIORITY. Once the stock is delisted, or removed from the stock market, it can still be traded but terms of the reorganization would terminate your shares...and leave you with NOTHING.

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Today's Aftermath:

The only other thing I wanted to point out is that my long shot recommendation on Lehman was purely a high risk - high reward play. There were only two options BANKRUPTCY OR BUYOUT! And after reading my own post the other night I should have listened to myself and known that if the Fed has already promised not to assist in the process that it was a longshot.

AIG is now in focus and I will take the course of action that I should have taken with Lehman. AIG should be shorted as you see in my STOCKTRACKER PORTFOLIO because they also need cash and the Fed is in no position to lend it out. AIG is considered to big to fail but if I am JP Morgan and Citigroup why should we post $75Billion dollars by ourselves to pay for their mistakes. Even more importantly, AIG's ratings were downgraded tonight and that raises more implications where AIG has to come up with cash really quickly to pay contractual obligations that arise from ratings decreases.

1 comment:

LLroomtempJ said...

thank you very much for posting this. I have a much stronger understanding of bankruptcy.