Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Sunday, December 23, 2018

Side Hustle 101 - Start Your Business

Started from the bottom...now we're here.  If you are starting a new business, I suggest investing your first few weeks or months developing your business plan by defining what product or service offering you plan to provide for customers. You should know if your business primary focuses on businesses (B2B) or is your focus on consumers (B2C). I often ask people how will you make money, what does it cost (expenses and overhead) to make money, and how many competitors are out there trying to take business away from your you and your company. My favorite is can your business be easily copied? Lastly what is your exit plan or at what price would you sell if you were made an offer. 

I've had a chance to participate in a few discussions or pitches and often you will hear the same responses from new and experienced business persons:
- My business is unique
- I do not know my costs, but it will not cost too much OR these costs are needed
- My services are for everyone
- I do not have any competition because I will work harder
- This business is not for sale

I do not blame anyone that responds this way because it is often human nature and when you start a business it is personal and many treat the company like their baby. But when it comes time to invest and I am running through my risk management checklist, I mentally note that this entrepreneur may not be strong in running a business and bad governance is a never a good investment.  I usually ask one question which ends my investment process: "Can I see your business plan?"

So my challenge to entrepreneurs: Learn to Develop A Business Plan.

Then have as many people as possible read it, question it, and be comfortable going back to the drawing board when tough question arise. Also, make a mental note that if you respond with one of the common answers above you may have more work to do.  Then, I recommend watching as many episodes as possible of really good business shows like "Shark Tank" or the "The Profit" that are featured on CNBC.  Chances are you will hear someone with a similar business idea as yourself and it serves as a really good opportunity to prepare yourself on how to answer those questions AND see your competition in action.

This applies to entrepreneurs, your real estate business if you're a landlord, and your financial investments if you're a money manager.  Have a plan and know your numbers (the budget).  Who cares what the hustle is as long as it's making you money (and legal).  And as Mr. Wonderful said from the investment show "Shark Tank" if your business is not making money in 3+ years...it's basically a hobby. I tend to agree as it aligns with Warren Buffett's number 1 rule to investing: "Never Lose Money".

My Personal Experience: I've started a consulting practice which has been thriving now for 2 years. I've kept it barebones and will expand when the risks make sense, so the math is simple not much expenses but I the profits are more than I would make as a salaried employee (accounting for benefits and retirement planning) I have complimented that with a rental property that I manage, and a financial investment portfolio that I manage. All of these need a well thought out plan and when the risks don't equal the reward it's time for me to walk away or exit from any or ALL of these investments.

   

No comments: