Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Risk On: Orexigen, St. Joe Company

I will start off by saying that my view of the economy is very MIXED. I will get into the reasons the next time around. Here are a few more free picks because these are very risky plays and I want to document my theory here. I have one premium pick posted a few weeks ago that is doing quite well. Please contact me for gaining access to my premium picks.

OREXIGEN (OREX): I hope you like this call! After this stock got hammered, I called for a 'NIBBLE' in my last post. I parsed through a ton of data on both sides of how the FDA approval would play out and I ended up with the right conclusion. The proof was in the pudding of the FDA panel advisers meeting at the end of last year. This panel advises the FDA and while they approved Orexigen, it was a narrow approval vote and the theme was that there were concerns with elevated heart readings of patients. As I mentioned before, the FDA had to pull a previous diet drug from shelves due to cardiac concerns and I have a strong feeling that they didn't want to make the same mistake again (duh). Hence, the FDA voted to not APPROVE the drug, but called for more studies.

HOWEVER, the reason I call for a nibble of this stock at the 52 week low of $2.47 is because of the probability. The probability is likely that this drug won't die. Its comprised of two drugs that have already received FDA approvals separately. That means there is a chance for a few different outcomes:
~ More testing until even FDA approval
~ Sale of existing drug to another company that can use the technology

These outcomes led me to recommend a gamble on OREX. Since then I believe its been up 44% in a few days.

St. Joe Company (JOE): JOE continues my love of all stocks controversial. I am not sure why the 'Risk On' trades are of interest to me at this point but I want to make sure that I capture it here in my posts and some of the reasons why. JOE is a tough stock to recommend because it has a LOVE/HATE story line going on. Real estate companies and prime Florida locations makes its a darling, but the downfall of all real estate across the country has many thinking its on its last leg. The story drags on amongst investment titans. This stock is loved by famed mutual fund manager, Bruck Berkowitz, and hated by hedge fund genius David Einhorn. So the reason why I picked up a few shares the other day is because of a few reasons simple to probably only me.

REASONS I LIKE JOE:
~ Valuation: Many (wink:Einhorn) have hinted at valuation troubles lurking. I used to subscribe to this school of thought until the financial crisis taught me, there is a valuation crisis only if you can't get access to capital. Once banks got infused, they didn't have to write down every asset, they could afford to wait.

My opinion is JOE will not have to value its property at these historic lows...they can wait it out

~ Catalyst: Institutional love. This stock is attracting some big players, Bruce and I believe BlackRock on one side and of course Einhorn on the Other.

My opinion is JOE will benefit from its largest shareholders actively attempting to make this company more efficient and profitable. The don't have time to play and Bruce owns 29% of the damn stock...can you say his voice will be heard. And it has been, he's been out pumping up the stock recently, check CNBC.

~ Short Squeeze: This last one may be dumb, but everyone and their mom jumped on the Einhorn bandwagon and started SHORTING the stock. If either of my first two points prove to be correct the shares should jump as short sellers get squeezed out of betting this stock will go down. They will have to buy their shares back and...TA DA the stock rises.

Now the stock on Monday was up between 8-10% but I still bought because I think this is just the beginning of a beaten down stock with a serious plot...think Young & the Restless.
Pick up shares around $29 and anywhere below. I had to settle for $29.30 right before the close of Monday after I learned that morning listening to CNBC that Bruce it trying to get himself the Chairman spot and his business partner Mr. Fernandez the Vice Chairman spot. Can you say catalyst for change! Say goodbye to the scrubs on the board, there is a new sheriff in town. Any news like this and you will have buyers jumping on a beat down stock and short selling feeling the squeeze.

Disclosure: I own shares of St. Joes Company

No comments: