Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, August 03, 2009

My Reality Show: Homebuying 101

My online reality show is probably the slowest show that you've followed in awhile, but hey its still running! If you recall, my show started with trying to determine if the stimulus bill really had any stimulus to it??? So I read through some of sweet parts of the bill to see if they could get a penny pincher like me off the sidelines and contributing to a deteriorating economy. The one part of the bill that immediately attracted me what the Homebuyer Tax Credit. Yes, welcome, first time homebuyers like me. I searched high and low and I'm sometimes surprised at the lack of direct information provided to help you through what is a huge huge purchase. So far here are the rules to help you finance the purchase of your next home:

Rule 1: From a previous post, you learned to CLEAN UP YOUR CREDIT. Click here to learn about how to view your credit for free ---> Free Credit Check

Rule 2: Find a reputable bank or mortgage broker who will pull up your credit and give you a Pre-Approval amount based on your gross income and outstanding debt levels (i.e., credit card balances, car loan, student loans, etc). Knowing "How Much Home You Can Afford" is critical! My rule of thumb is try not to spend more than 80% of what your Pre-Approval amount is. If you haven't received your Pre-Approval use this rule of thumb, don't spend more than 40% of your net monthly paycheck. Remember net = take home pay. This rule prepares you for a few things things that you may still want to spend money on like: the ability to still save/contribute to your retirement, afford new expenses, and still have a life.

Rule 3: SAVE, SAVE, SAVE for at least of a 10% Down Payment. This will be a huge step in determining if you are really ready to commit to buying a home. For instance, the average condominium (in my book) is roughly $300,000. This means you need to come up with $30,000 as a down payment!!!!

Tricks up my sleeve:

- A trick to Rule #1 is to contest all questionable items on your credit report with support and in writing. The nice thing is contesting your credit history can be done online.

- The trick to Rule #2 is to follow my "Rule of Thumb" notes above. Budget for less and you will be able to sleep easier at night.

- And my last trick! For Rule#3, consider or ask if the home you are looking into qualifies for a FHA Loan. This loan is government sponsored and only requires you to put 3.5% Down!!!

Stayed tuned on how to begin your house search...

1 comment:

Taria said...

Hola, homie! Check me out at http://the-cake-princess.blogspot.com/