Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, September 21, 2020

It's Take a Village To Invest - Grow Leaders | Plant Seeds | Stocks


Investing In Yourself – Using Pillars to Build Your Core
Setting Budgets + Saving for Black Swans


How to Open My First Brokerage Account

Diversify your Life (Mind, Body, Soul, + Investments)

Search My Blog

African Proverb - It Takes a Village

Today I wanted to share a proverb that I believe strongly in. Have you ever heard the phrase "It takes a village" -- usually it's followed by "to raise a child" because that's where modern day society believes the biggest need is in their household. This is evident by COVID because when businesses were closed certain leaders were rushing to get schools open because they needed to 'house' children so the parents could go to work. While this is one function, it defeats the goal or objective that parents muse be at the center of their child's life and educational growth especially during the early years. I started raising children later in life so maybe I am less guilty, but still guilty as charged during my child's infant months. 

A few years back when I was going into the office, I would often come home late (due to work and long commuting) and find my child already asleep. I want to change this mentality to form a better family. My village concept is not new --- because I work from home, I walk my daughter to daycare, take a morning bike ride with my 5 year old, and monitor her school progress --- while I work. Notice in my example, we still use school/daycare BUT they support my village concept and the objectives of raising a child alongside family, church, community --- those other entities are NOT the owner or solution. I set the objective, the goal, the discipline --- the others must help support and nurture the environment. This is the same with other priorities NOT just children. 

So this brings me to Baker Mayfield and Alejandro Villenueva when it comes to the goal of improving African-American lives in the US. The African American village needs help and it takes village and community leaders to help nurture the environment. I prefer calling the objective - we are investing in the African-Americans. Yes, we need to invest in all communities including white ones BUT today we are focused on my community. I respectfully ask you all to never be the Baker Mayfield's of our village. I would rather you be Drew Brees or Alejandro Villenuava but please don't be a Baker Mayfield. Before the National Football Season, he claimed he was an ally and would kneel as he understood the objective at hand - bettering black lives. But as the season approach --- Baker Mayfield changed his tune. Unfortunately, but not uncommon, he probably succumbed to his business interests, protected his image (commercials), and caved to whispers around him. I won't leave my child with a wolf. To protect my child and village I rather that wolf tell me exactly who he is like Drew and Alejandro did. The worst is the false ally you leave to help nurture your village but actually through their actions helps to tear it down. In closing, if you don't know the story of Alejandro is shows why we must nurture villages -- he covered up the Pittsburgh Steeler approved decal of a fallen black child who was killed in Pittsburgh, Antwon Rose Jr. Instead acknowledging and focusing on the objective at hand, I saw the self absorbed culture I see to often in our society on full display. He chose to cover up Antwon Rose's team approved decal on his helmet with a name that meant something more important to him. I'm fine Alejandro supporting your military village but that IS NOT your only village. I can pray for police, military, the flag and still show support for the African-American community and ANTWON ROSE JR - a fallen black male at the hands of the police. They are not opposites on a spectrum, they are simply villages with actual lives that all must be looked after. We must grow leaders that uplift villages --- NOT tear them down.

Planting Seeds - Budgeting

For the last few weeks, I've decided to plant some additional seeds to help my village. I try to train people from all nationalities and backgrounds on information technology principles. I believe the jobs shifts in my sector have the ability to uplift and transform people's career if they choose. I then try to help place those people in the jobs of the future which is like a public - private partnership. I fully acknowledge that I benefit at times when anyone finds a job through me. If I am solving a problem, it's fair to be compensated for that to grow my mission. I wrote months back at how I helped a young man of color via a paid internship that taught him the benefits of project and property management. He shared a new story with me this weekend that made me smile, the seed is growing. I am planting a new seed that takes me back to my root (no pun intended). I am teaching another person the benefits of budgeting as they chart their path outside of their current village. The strange thing is their budget is simply an extension of a plan - a plan to be a seed that grows and adds value to those around him. It's time consuming but self-fulfilling whenever you hear I'm learning a tremendous amount. More to come.
 
Stock - ViaSat

Similar to growing people, I plan investment seeds. I tend to a large garden and have a full-time job. So I set alerts and wait for them to ripe -- my investment goal is to find value but only when the value is there. Then I go back and investigate my plant -- will it grow, or produce other seeds, or is the plant dying or worse can it cause harm to other plants. Here is one of my new investments and you'll even see the alert I set months or sometimes years ago -- reminding me of my objective to find value.

ViaSat Inc  (VSAT: NASDAQ)
Alert was set: $42.10
Current:


Disclosure - I do not own ViaSat but actively watching this stock. Like a crop in my village, I will sit down, evaluate and determine what type of investment will this be. I like when stocks are honest about their true colors, some they are only profit motivated like Drew Brees or Alejandro Villenueva. I can live with their truth. I really analyze and stay clear of the stocks like Baker Mayfield, the one's that claim they align with your objectives but in reality they do not support the mission of the village.

No comments: