Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Sunday, July 05, 2020

(Not Just A) Day of Independence

Investing In Yourself – Using Pillars to Build Your Core
Setting Budgets + Saving for Black Swans


How to Open My First Brokerage Account

Diversify your Life (Mind, Body, Soul, + Investments)

Search My Blog

Independence Day

For years, I've been writing about independence through practices, or habits if you will, that strengthen and stabilize your mind, body, and soul --- for me I call them Pillars and there are 4 Pillars. I'm not going to go into them today but feel free to click above or just take the time to read my blog and holla back if you've learned something, agree, or disagree because I am always learning and appreciate your thoughts. I simply ask that you don't come at me with the cliché tag line of life is more than just money. If so, then you haven't read the 4 Pillars or you just don't get it.  For me, life is about freedom, independence, and time --- things that you don't fight or celebrate for on just one day it's an everyday hustle (cue: Rick Ross - Hustlin') because these can be taken from you at any time. 

It took a friend halfway across the world to quiz me once on what my mission is. They couldn't understand why I would do this and I guess more importantly what I wanted from people. I thought it sounded jaded but I realized the world we live in is getting more transactional by the day and you have to state your intentions all the time or people are suspicious. My mission is for people to learn, share, and flourish across the 4 Pillars on their path towards a more purposeful and secure life (including financially secure)...on their own terms.  That is freedom to me...that is independence. 

So my view on Independence Day (I-D) celebrations is a bit different. Why don't we celebrate the independence of people and the on-going fight we all have for independence. Why not move Independence Day to central date, and we recognize and celebrate the independence of all people and all struggles. Your independence does not have to triumph over another. For me, I celebrated Juneteeth which is dear to me and many African-Americans across this country. Why is it NOT a holiday?? But I also celebrate the African independence of my family's country and culture. In Chicago, we celebrate with my white brother and sisters as they dye the river Green in honor of Irish heritage and I've even been off for Polish holidays and I wonder why don't we do the same for my heritage. I've taken part in Cinco de Mayo celebrations only to learn from a Mexican colleague at work that May 5th is not the day Mexico celebrates as it's independence day. Remix that if you need to --- we celebrate a day that my Mexican brothers and sisters don't even recognize as their I-D. So disruption comes from out of the box thinking -- like "Defund The Police" which anyone with any common sense knows simply means re-investing in beaten down communities (literally and figuratively). Look up the city of Newark which "defunded" and "re-invested" and "re-built its Police Department". Hell it's even a strategy on Wall Street --- We call it the "Dogs of the Dow" (at the end of the you buy the lowest performing Dow stocks of that year) and rotating funds into beaten down stocks or sectors. 

So on this day I recognize the I-D of Sierra Leone which my family celebrates (April 27th), I recognize Juneteeth, I recognize Mexico's real I-D, I recognize US I-D, but more importantly I recognize and respect the I-D of all my brothers and sisters across the world. To celebrate I-D means you felt the ugly shackles of oppression, tyranny, and hate and you fought for what was right. Someone is always breaking away from under the rule of another...that is INDEPENDENCE. So fast forward to today --- if we are celebrating I-D stand with me and fight oppression, racism, sexism, etc. Stand for equality because when a group of people are systemically not being treated equal --- how can they consider themselves free, independent, equal. 

At this point in my life, I own enough assets to work where I want, if I want, and spend time doing what is most important to me --- that's independence. But being am black man in America it does not mean I am free or treated equal. For this next hurdle, we must all unite together and use our assets, connections, voices, protests, and votes as leverage for change. That's how I get business and life deals done and one way we all can effect change.

#justiceforgeorgefloyd  #blacklivesmatter #ifnotnowthenwhen #urbanomics4pillars 


No comments: