Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Interesting Things the Stock Market Told Me...

Some may call it beginners luck, but I like to say the stock market can teach you a number of pretty interesting things.  I hate to admit, that it makes me a 'Jack of All Trades' and I seem to know a little bit about some of the strangest subjects under the sun.  I can hold a conversation on the buzz around hydraulic fracturing (known as fracking) in the oil and gas industry or debate why the housing market may have bottomed in Phoenix or never really declined in the metro Washington DC area.  Here are some of the non-stock things I've learned from the Mr. Market:


I'm a Movie Critic:

John Carter - I can share with you that the movie John Carter ain't that great! Why because the maker Disney is pretty much saying so themselves.  They expect to lose over $200 Million on the project. I guess I should never trust trailers, it looked pretty good!

Hunger Games - Every woman I know raves about this book!  But one thing I can tell you, is this movie is a must see! Why because film house Lions Gates' stock is exploding and it has everything to do with the buzz around this movie! Check it out.

I'm An Electronics Guru:

Apple - It's a shame but you may want to do some digging on the I-Pad 3. Why, because it gets a little hotter than some recent buyers have expected it should!  Sources have said it might be about 10-12 degrees hotter than the older version.

Nokia - I can tell you Nokia sells the most phones in the world, roughly to the tune of 25% of all phones are Nokia's.  But I can also tell you they are struggling to keep up with the smartphone craze and they aren't that popular here in the US.  If you have the new Nokia Lumia, I'd love to hear about how it performs.

HP, Lenovo - I also recall writing previously about the fact that HP almost spun off its top money producing business, the PC business.  I gotta have faith!! And if HP was unsure about its own PC, then I'd pass on buying one.  Lenovo... who is that you say??? Well, Mr. Market told me this company bought IBM's previous PC business. And when you combine their major footprint in selling PCs to corporations...my most recent laptop purchase was you guessed it... A LENOVO!

Ohh I forgot, I'm an investor and how does this help me make investments. Well, I would be interested in Disney if its price fell due to this movie bomb and other business missteps.  I've learned Apple fanatics probably won't care about a few degrees, but I'm too nervous to buy Apple at $600 bucks!  Nokia, I bought a phone awhile back (NOKIA X6) and love it. Works in London because its tri-band, has built in GPS, and 16 gigs of hard drive. But the apps aren't always the same as all my friends...major bummer. Not buying Nokia.  Last, I wanna keep an eye on HP because its a big dog and while dogs get down they are never out.  And I love my Lenovo laptop and might love the stock.

No comments: