Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Say Hello...

to Bad Guy. And no this isn't some lame play off of the movie Scarface. Instead I was listening to a track by Jay Z, from the American Gangster album. Here are the lyrics from the last verse of the song:

"We ain't thugs for the sake of just being thugs
Nobody do dat where we grew at, brotha, DUH!
The poverty line, we not above
So out come the mask and glove cause we ain't feelin' the love
We ain't doing crime for the sake of doing crime
We movin' dimes cause we ain't doin' fine
One out of three of us is locked up doing time
You know what that type of shit can do to a brotha mind?
My mind on my money, money on my mind
If you owe me ten dollars, you ain't giving me nine
Ya'll ain't give me 40 acres and a mule
So i got my Glock 40, now i'm cool
And if Al Sharpton is speaking for me
Somebody get him the word and tell him i don't approve
Tell him i'll remove the curses
If you tell me our schools gon' be perfect
When Jena 6 don't exist
Tell him THAT's when i'll stop saying bitch---BIIITCH!"

Now I've barely edited these lyrics, but it should give you a pretty good idea of what the song was about. Now I don't agree with what everyone does out there but he is also saying that things are done for a reason, unfortunately many times for reasons that we don't want to admit to. Now my mission here at Urbanomics isn't to glorify violence or getting ahead 'no matter who gets hurts'.

My mission at Urbanomics is to empower people to become financially independent and to give back to those that are need it the most in the process. Now I know this isn't profound and sometimes not the most popular way of thinking, but there are others who truly believe that the more that you give to others the more you will receive in return. Just take a moment to tune into what Warren Buffet and Bill Gates have been saying and doing. Its no mistake that the Number 1 & 2 wealthiest man are also respected for their ability to give BIG. Speaking of giving big, how about a shot out to Oprah's Big Give, which is empowering everyday people like you and me doing bigs things for others. So some of the ways I hope to help people is to share my thoughts on how to manage your personal financial wealth and to remind you that...the best way to continue to grow that cheese is to give back in many different ways.

I wanted to highlight a hedge fund The Children's Investment Fund (TCI). This is hedge fund founded by activist investor Chris Hohn in 2003. TCI is unique because it is know for actively agitating change at the companies it invests in. The twist that I like is that The Children's Investment Fund Foundation is managed by Hohn's wife. A portion of TCI's profits go to The Children's Investment Fund Foundation making a large charity foundation in the UK. What a great concept by Mr. Hohn and he is making people give back whether they want to or not. So if you find some great picks here, feel free to use a portion of those profits to do something big or little, like giving back (Just send me a shot out on the check).

And you know I had to give you a stock pick out of all of this, (courtesy of streetinsider.com) take a look at one of his recent investments in TransAlta (TAC).

Say Hello to the Bad Guy. How long ago was I pointing out that the economy was struggling. Now every major network is complaining about rising inflation, a very weak dollar, and a US economy that just isn't growing. Interesting how they've changed their stories so quickly, because they can't hide behind the data. From my previous post I've given you the plays and in this market even I may be a little more diligent in monitor my portfolios progress.

I truly believe that you:
Short Financials
Long Commodities like GOLD, OIL, STEEL
Sell nice moves up in your stocks and by the positions i've outlined above on the dips

No comments: