Stock Ticker

Stocks use a Ticker or an abbreviation to allow you to quickly find them. Facebook (Ticker: FB), Apple (Ticker: AAPL), Netflix (Ticker: NFLX), Alphabet (we know it as Google, Ticker: GOOG), Microsoft (Ticker: MSFT). Ticker Tape Provided by Macroaxis

Search URBANOMICS

Monday, July 30, 2007

The Dow & Beyonce

See the Dow was up last time I wrote to you guys at Urbanomics. But then like Beyonce's recent concert in Orlando, the Dow Jones Industrial took a tumble down the stairs. The Dow over the course of a few days has plummeted almost 800 points to a low on Friday on 13,265. So of course everyone is jittery, including your boy here at the Urb. But times like this you shouldn't panic but take a look at your portfolio and reassess your positions. One of the things I've consistently heard from some of the smarter investors out there was when the markets peaked at 14K...not to be afraid to take some profits off the table. But don't panic sell, because as quickly as the market goes down its going to go up. And today was a good example of that, most of my big dogs rebounded. Here is a quick summary of how I reassessed my portfolio in the wake of huge market volatility:

Ambassadors Int'l (AMIE) - I know you've heard me talk about this one before. This was one of my early gems that I found over two years ago. It was trading at roughly $13 way back in 2004. Yes, I held on for that long folks! I rode this bad boy through the good and the bad over the years this stock was listed as one of the best to own for 2006 but hit a major roadblock. Momentum and acquistion made this a darling but the fundamentals have shown that they need to materialize their acquistions into good old fashion cash. And with a recent article in Forbes highlighting the fact that its 2006 earnings details negative cash flow. Time to SELL

South Texas Oil Co. (STXX.OB) - I am still a huge fan of STXX but I sold my shares today. With a buy price of around $9.15, I got out of this oil play at roughly a 3% gain. Not bad for let a little over 1.5 months of work. If you are on margin, get out of this low volume stock but I still say stick in STXX for the long haul. Its got a push behind it that I think will send it higher. Get out around the 52 week high for a nice pay day.

The rest of the portfolio, I am holding! Even Radisys and their horrible earnings release which killed up. The only stock in the last year I can think of that is dragging us down. But like The Game said, "It's Okay"...and I'm holding. This will rebound and we will get out with a slight loss as we ride it out!

Peace out~

No comments: